24 December 2010

And another thing...Another song that says a lot...

Hola, y'all.

Really quickly, I've started to see a new holiday surfacing -- Festivus.  Here's what Wikipedia says about it.

My attitude. Festivus is Christmas with out the whole "Christ" part. Sooooo....it's just another December party with no real reason other than to eat, drink, wrestle, and be merry. All the party, none of the "guilt" of Christianity.

Which leads me to this song. And this video. Lyrics below. Enjoy.



"It's Called Christmas With A Capital 'C'"
by Go Fish
(Comedy by Brad Stine in italics -- I've transcribed it as best as I can  Check out http://www.bradstine.com/ for more good stuff!)

"I remember when people used to say things like 'Merry Christmas' to each other.  Everybody said 'Merry Christmas!  Hey, Merry Christmas to you, Mr. Lowenstine!'  You know why?  'Cause it wasn't about a religion. It was about something as a culture that we thought so valuable that we'd all do it together even if I disagreed with the religion behind it, because it was good for all of us instead of just me.  But what do we say now?  'Happy Holidays.'  'You see, I say 'Happy Holidays' 'cause I don't want to say Christmas because you don't believe in Christmas and I don't want to offend you...'

Well I went to the coffee shop to get myself a mocha
When the lady at the counter said “Happy Holidays”
I said, “Thanks lady. I am pretty happy
But there’s only one holiday that makes me feel that way and…”

It’s called Christmas
What more can I say?
It’s about the birth of Christ
And you can’t take that away
You can call it something else
But that’s not what it will be
It’s called Christmas with a capital C

God’s got a law and we’ve pretty much destroyed it
We’re gonna get judged, there’s no way to avoid it
Jesus came down to take the punishment for me
He did it for you too, so now maybe you can see why…

It’s called Christmas
What more can I say?
It’s about the birth of Christ
And you can’t take that away
You can call it something else
But that’s not what it will be
It’s called Christmas with a capital C

It's called Christmas...

Oh, yes, we want to say "Happy Holidays" because we don't want to leave anybody out.  Really?  How come there's a ton of holidays in February, but we never say "Happy Holidays" in February, do they?  No, they way what it is. "Happy Valentine's" -- ooh, do you believe in love?

It's called Christmas...

But nobody wants to say "Christmas"...why?  I know why, you do too, it's because it's got Christ in it.  And after 2000 years, He's still intimidating people!  You see, when a religious person says 'I am the way,'  people don't want to hear it...

It's called Christmas...

I say you've got to say "Merry Christmas" 'cause it is!  If you don't believe in it, fine.  But I've got a flash for you.  Christianity is the religious heritage of my country whether you like it or not!

It's called Christmas...

So if you're not a Christian or you don't like it, and you don't want Christmas celebrated, God bless ya, but let me tell you something, if you think you're gonna stop me from saying it because it offends you, here's a newsflash...PUT A HELMET ON!

It’s called Christmas

What more can I say?
It’s about the birth of Christ
And you can’t take that away
You can call it something else
But that’s not what it will be
It’s called Christmas with a capital C

Merry Christmas, y'all.  Happy Hanukkah.  And Happy Kwannza.  I think that covers it.

Greg

No comments: